general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Muppets + Satan = Good times!

Last night I took my friend Sarah to a show at the Independent. I took her to celebrate her performance in a voice recital earlier that day, and because I figured she'd love the opener. The show was the Dead Hensons (a muppets and sesame street cover band) and Hurra Torpedo (a band that uses kitchen appliances for percussion).

Now this is a fairly atypical show for me. I'm a big live music fan. I go to see a lot of shows. Most of the shows I attend are jam band/funk - where I'm really honing in on the musicality, and less on visual stimulus of the band. This was a show where it was more a total sensory experience - the antics/costumes of the performers, lots of banter, and enthusiasm while playing.

So here were, grooving to 1,2,3 4,5 6,7,8,9,10 11 12. Can't keep the smile off my face. The audience eats it up. There's a massive kick line forming right infront of us. The band (at least 8 of them) were incredibly warm and loving. They did a lot of instrument switching. A short, but lively set. You can see why they have a loyal fan base. Its hard not to feel good while they're playing.

Set change. A bunch of beaten up dishwashers, stoves, and other appliances fill the stage. Three huge Norwegian dudes in matching blue tracks suits enter the stage. Their pants do not cover their bare asses. Then the proceeded to go INSANE. There is no way I could ever accurately portray the level of insanity that occurred on stage. Lots of screaming and flailing. A seriously evil cover of a Britney Spears song. Some honoring of Satan. These were some FUCKED UP dudes. Again, and somewhat suprisingly, the audience ate them up. People went nuts.

I felt like I really was witnessing something special, something I'll never see again. Mostly because I can't believe these guys will survive much longer. Their bodies will just cave at some point.

1 Comments:

Blogger PVision said...

Satanic Muppets for everyone!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home