general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cd Art Question

Question: I'm currently working with an artist, Nemo, to do art for my upcoming album. For this next release, I'm going to have a card board case that will fold out, and the cover will open up into three panels. I'm currently entertainig the idea that the cd should open up and be all art. Look at a CD cover he's done when it folds out. Therefore the track listing would be on the inside, and the spine of the cd would not indicate what CD this is.

Nemo's rightly points out this would work against me from a sales/business perspective. People wouldn't see the track listing. There wouldn't be a upc sticker (though I could always shrinkwrap it and put the UPC on as a sticker). If I ever really wanted to sell it, it would work against me.

On the otherhand, my sales record to date has been miserable. I'd like to think this is largely from the fact that I've never tried to sell my product. I will try to sell this one, because it's going to cost a lot to make. It won't be more then $10. I'm still thinking of having the music freely available on the website - maybe with a donation button when I determine which charity I'd like to support. I imagine most of my sales will be person to person. But maybe not. Who knows.

Anyhow, please weigh in on this one - whether to have the art fill up all the panels sans track listing or not. . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Zack said...

So... You commented on my never commenting and now I have a comment. Sadly it appears that the link you have provided to the omg so cool you will never believe it album cover is broken (suffering from the GeneralFuzz-Effect?) and I want my money back. Seriously... to lead us on like this and make us think it is all cool... well I can see "Got error 28 from storage engine" any time I want. There. commented.

8:32 AM  
Blogger The Habe said...

I think you hit the nail on the head: if you ever plan to sell this in stores people will want to know how many tracks they are getting for the price. Maybe this could go on the same sticker as the UPC. If you're not, then do whatever the heck you want, it's YOUR album after all.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Gail Weaver said...

hmmmm .. interesting dilemma. I love the "down with capitalism! up with art!" sentiment ... that being said, however, it is a material world and I am a material girl ...

Is there some way (now hang in there with me, 'cause I'm about to get a little crazy here) to compromise? Could the album title and/or title tracks become part of the artwork?

9:09 PM  
Blogger PVision said...

Fuck the stores, go for the art.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home