general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

CD Release

Well, the CD Release Party for "Cool Aberrations" was this past Saturday. We took over "Club 18" at JCC, and turned into "Club General Fuzz". Stina was the mastermind behind the event, planning the whole thing so it was full of drunken happy friends who were totall unaware why everything was running so smoothly. Haber came out early to help out with the heavy lifting which was key.

The turnout was great. Stina counted 65 people at one point. The foosball table was very popular. About 100 beers were drunk, and a good dent into the alcohol was made. Some people came dressed as superheros in preparation for the party at the Phoenix house. I was most amused. There were also some "DJ Messy" jumpsuit bustouts which were most appreciated.

I played an hour fifteen minute set, laden with guest musicians: Jason Parmar on Tabla, and JP Cutler, Adam Blomberg, and Noah Reid sat in on guitar. I think the set went over pretty well. The energy interacting with other musicians definitely raised the energy and vibe of the set. I played material from the whole spectrum of my electronic music career.

I distributed a ton of CDs. I made a point to try and talk with everyone who came, which is not something which comes naturally to me.

There was a lot of stress, regret, and other negative feelings that happened as the event came closer on the horizon. I was also experiencing a lot insecurity and regret about the album that I had made. Fortunately, right before the event occurred, I had realized that:

1. I was proud of this album
2. The party could be a lot of fun.

Thus I went into the event with a positive head space which I'm sure made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the party.

The whole thing went by really fast, which I knew it would. A 4 hour party where people would show up an hour into it = 3 hour party. Not a lot of time, especially if I'm going to spend half of it playing a show. I tried to stay really present and soak it all in.

I think people had a good time. I sure did.

Now I'm switching gears into promotion mode. Not my favorite thing, but I really want people to hear my music.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger PVision said...

Congrats Jimmy. Wish I could have made it.

1:34 AM  
Blogger The Habe said...

I had a great time!! Plus I finally got that tour of the JCC.

Serious though, you shouldn't have any regrets about this album, it's great! I know it's been a long process, but it was definitely worth the time...

Be Fuzzy and proud!

6:22 PM  
Blogger jordan said...

you know that electronic music isn't exactly my thing... but this is definitely my favorite of all of your albums. congratulations!

5:15 PM  
Blogger ELK said...

I love the album, James, a LOT...and the genre is not one I'm usually drawn to, so you have some real power over the people! And the belly really loves it, too, he dances all around (and kicks me in the ribs,making it hard to dance or breath...but in a funny way)

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home