general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

When Kirk Cameron and I went our seperate ways

An IM with Dave went something like this: how to copy music off your ipod -> quoting Nirvana lyrics -> mistakenly referencing Kurt Cobain as Kirk -> Googling Kirk Cameron.

It takes you to the “Way of the Master”.

And good god! Well, actually bad god (in my humble opinion). “Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron teach Christians how to share their faith effectively and inoffensively” Okaay. Delving a bit deeper into the site is a scary thing. For me, at least.

In the last year or so, I’ve finally come to terms with my position on religion – I like it as a cultural thing, less as a God thing. Dave SG turned me on to a great book called: “The End of Faith” by Sam Harris. It helped clarify some of my negative feeling about religion. I choose not to accept that ancient books such as the Torah and the Bible were written by God. Or Jesus for that matter. The fact that people still do literal interpretations of these holy scriptures scares the living shit out of me. That many people believe that dying in the name of their God will bring them and their family glory in the afterlife. That Bush is a good presidential choice cause he’s down with the church.

Sure I’m oversimplifying. But I’m pseudo grown-up, and I now have come to terms with my lack of belief that God is judging my actions. I feel that I should be judging my actions and be responsible for them. The afterlife is a concept that I don’t subscribe to. I will be immortalized by what I leave behind and when people think about me after I’m gone. Ooo, I can even do my religious Java (the programming language) analogy.

In the programming language Java, everything you write is an “object”. Every object that you create must be derived (called a child) from a different object (the parent object). For example, an object that represents a rectangle (which could be used to track the size of your current WWW browser) will be a child of a “shape” object. At some point there must be a “base” object which must be a parent of every object. This base object is called Object (captial O) and has very few properties. It doesn’t do much. But everything is ultimately derived from it. I feel my perception of God is that much like Object. Everything is derived from it – and so all living things are connected at some fundamental level. And there you have it, in a nutshell.

Right then.

So Way of the Master. I read some letters from Kirk. He clearly feels differently than I. If you want a good summary of the tone of the site – just read the faq. Here’s an entry that made me angry:

I have my own thoughts on what god is like.

This is transgression of the First and Second of the Ten Commandments: "I am the Lord your God, you shall have no other gods before Me . . . You shall not make to yourself a graven image of any likeness." You are creating a god in your mind that you are more comfortable with—a god to suit your sins.

Man has always made gods to suit himself. My opinion doesn't matter when it comes to God's character. What matters is the truth--and He has revealed what He is like through the Bible.


So, if I don’t agree EXACTLY with how Kirk views God (by reading the Bible), I’m fucked in his view.

Well, thank GOD I don’t give a rats ass about what Kirk thinks.

2 Comments:

Blogger PVision said...

Kirk can take his god and cram it.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm reminded of Bobcat Goldthwait on his "Meat Bob" album of 1988, when he's talking about Parker Stevenson in an I-support-the-NRA ad and says, "cuz when I'm in the voting booth that's what I think. 'wait, wait, how did the hardy boys feel? toxic waste -- how did the New Gidget cast feel on this one?'".

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home