general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Soulive

Soulive did a two night run at the Independent - I showed up for night 2. Those guys define what it is to be in the pocket. Such virtuoso's. The drummer does these crazy fills where he flips the one beat around. The keyboard player makes my head hurt. Guitarist just rips. And then they go and ruin it by bringing out singers all the time. Why do they do this? The singers are talented and all, but it brings the intensity down. Then to make matters worse, the singers like to do a lot of call and response, dragging it out.

I guess they feel the audience connects more when there's a singer.

Not me.

Thankfully, I have the internet where I can vent.

I was hard core last night - I made it through the entire two set show. I hung out with a mom and son pair for while. I saw a bunch of random folks, which lent ample opportunity to distribute CDs. Aaron and Rachel appeared for set 2. They got all hooked up with backstage passes. Thus, I got bonus free water. Apparently Aaron's friend is good friends with the band, and I got them to strategically place CDs backstage. So who knows, right now they might be kicking back on the bus with some general fuzz.

Well, or not.

That's cool too.

But less cool, by far.

2 Comments:

Blogger PVision said...

Yeah dude, they're all about the singer buzz-kill. Which is a bummer. Reggie was cool, but their new duder is lame.

1:36 AM  
Blogger jordan said...

call and response is the lamest.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home