general fuzz

Musing from a obsessive computer music composer with hippie-ish tendencies.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Now

Something about holding a one day old (congrads to Erin and Nat!!!) triggered some weird thinking about state of affairs in my life.

In the 90's, I loved the 80's music. The glam. I sometimes wished I could have been older in the 80's to experience it. But then I would have been older in 90's, and I would have missed out on all the great living/music I've been blessed to experience. I probably wouldn't have ridden on the Phish train, or really been in SF for the rise of these next gen bands.

The music tools that I use are all pretty damn state of the art. Before I graduated college there was barely a notion of a virtual studio (a studio contained within software which emulates the equipment of a traditional music studio). It would be so exciting to be a child now growing up with these tools.

On the other hand, having some time, money, and experience has enabled me to utilize and appreciate the software in ways that an infant couldn't do. Thus I'm part of the first wave of musicians to really adopt and publish music with these tools. Even though there is an obscene amount music being put out there in the ether that is the internet, we are only at the cusp of this revolution. Therefore, by being a early adopter and really trying to push my music, I have more of an opportunity for success then the next generation who will have to compete with a much bigger wave of composers doing the same thing.

This is rather frustrating to think about since I don't think I'm that successful at it in the current state of now.

I guess you will need a lot more talent to really stand out in the future.

Well, I don't feel like stopping, either.

I think the same applies to the technology job market. I couldn't really learn computer science until I got to college. I imagine that this will shift so that computer science gets absorbed in the pre-college curriculum. As the next generation learns about computers earlier and the job market goes global, there will be much more competition for the tech jobs that exist. It will be tougher and tougher to get a leg up.

Then again, who knows what the state of the world will be a couple generations from now?

Not me.

I'll be older and perhaps wiser then. Ready to reminence about the '90s.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gail Weaver said...

Welcome to the questions that designers of schools continually ask themselves :-)

And HEY! You're coming to Hawaii this weekend!

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home